Sunday, October 7, 2012

My first buck with a bow

First archery buck

(My first buck with a bow) Video Link!

Click on the link above for the video of my hunt!

         So my day started with a short walk into the woods still not feeling up to a long hike in the woods. I opted to again hunt the afternoon only not wanting to push my ankle. So off I set into the woods around 1:15Pm. with my bow in hand and my climber on my back. Taking my time walking in with the wind in my face I headed to a large Oak tree I had scouted out some time ago. since It had been rumored that the acorns were doing well this year I planed to sit near this large oak.

    As I descended the bench to the Oak tree I spotted movement directly under this Oak I was planning to hunt near/under. It didn't take long for me to realize it was a deer, three of them for that matter. All of them combing the area for acorns not caring a bit I was just out of bow range. I slid my stand off my back with the hopes of sneaking in on them. I sat still thinking what to do and noticed them move off. I put my stand on my back and slowly moved in on the Oak tree. Once I got to about 30 yards of the tree I noticed the doe had not moved on, but only just out of my sight. I once again slid my stand off my back and again started to sneak a bit closer. See saw me but was not spooked, but wasn't coming any closer.

 Once the deer finely moved on I walked up to the Oak tree looking for a place to hang my stand when i herd a rustling in the leaves ahead of me. As I looked up 3 deer stood up from there beds and spooked into the brush. It was at that point I decided I was going to hunt this area. I quietly went back up the hill to where I had left my stand and went to the tree I felt would be the best ambush spot.

  I was really expecting to be sitting in the stand for a while being it was only a short while after spooking the 6 doe from this area. I mounted my camera and got my self comfortable.I checked my phone and it was 2:00pm. I was hearing squirrels and chipmunks stealing the acorns while the deer are gone. Because of this I didn't pay much attention to the noise of the leaves to my left. I casually looked over my left shoulder and notice a deer standing there not more then 20 yards away. It didn't take me long to notice the antlers on his head ether. I didn't really get to worried about shooting him until i notice he had brow tines.

  It was that point I was going to shot this buck. As the title states up till this point I had not killed a buck with a bow. I have gotten many doe but no buck. So as you can imagine the buck fever started kicking in. I get worked up regardless of it being a buck or doe but I was really feeling it this time. It took him about 5 minutes to finely step into a shooting lane and that was when I sent a arrow flying. I watched as the arrow hit. I instantly knew it wasn't such a good shoot seeing it was much further back then I wanted it to be. I let him get out of the area and waited about 15 minuets before even coming down out of my stand. I made quick time of locating my arrow. From the evidence of the blood on the arrow it was a liver/paunch shot.  I looked at my phone again and it was now 3:30 and not knowing I didn't make the greatest shot I packed up and headed out. Got on the phone with my best friend Matt and asked to see what he was up to. After finding out I headed over to where he was in hopes of getting him on video shooting a deer.


 We hunted the last 2.5 hours of the day together and after reviewing the video I took earlier of the buck I had shot we both felt it would be best to leave him over night and look for him first thing.


  So at 7:30Am I set out Sunday morning planning to bring home my first buck. I started where I had shot him and stared my search. I took me about a hour of zig-zaging through the thick brush until I found him. I was on a emotional roll a coaster from the time I sent that arrow at the deer. As soon as I saw the deer laying there i was on cloud nine, until I got closer. it was then I realized it wasn't that easy. The whole hind quorate was gone, torn off by a bear. Because of this there was no way I could eat this deer. My heart sank I snapped a few pictures and made a quick phone call to the Game Commission hoping I might not have to tag this now eaten buck. well that wasn't the case. After finding out I had to tag the deer I had to run home so I could get the tools i needed to recover the antlers at least. 

   A quick trip home and a quick lunch I packed up Liam and him and I set off to collect the antlers. We had fun despite the lack of bring deer meat home.

 I still have two doe tags and will be in the woods again in the coming weeks!








No comments:

Post a Comment