Saturday, August 2, 2014

2014 Spring Turkey

This spring was very late. There was still snow on the ground in the creek bottoms.
The clover field we had hunted the past year was so behind. The first week we heard a few birds but nothing close at all. I was able to call two birds into about 80 yards but never put my eyes on them.
So we abandoned turkey ridge and went on out way. The next spot we tried had birds but it was a long walk. about 2 miles to the ridge.  Kyhl and I got set up on a bird and he was coming then he got hung up at about 100 yards. I moved back and left him with the decoys. I started calling again and had a different bird just at full speed. I was not ready for him and he picked me off when I went for my bow.  The next day I went to find a new way in that was not a two mile walk. I found a old logging road that would shave about two thirds of the hike off.

That night Kyhl called and said he had a few birds around his house and wanted to give it a try.
We got all set up and right at first light we heard a shot not that far away. We packed things up and headed for the logging road where were had the two toms going two days ago.

We get to out spot and I tell Kyhl we are close to where I would like to set up and a hen starts putting only forty yards away over the ridge. We are now a little dearest to say the least.  It is only 7:00am. We turn to walk back to the truck and go try one more spot and we hear a tom gobble. We look at each other and at the same time and say I think we should stay.

We stick the decoys in the road and Kyhl sets up fifteen yards away and I set up about twenty and ten yards left of Kyhl. I have the mossburg as backup. Kyhl gives the thumbs up and I start to call. He starts coming. Each time he gobbles he is cutting the distance in half. Not long and he is with in fifty yards. He stops coming and I quit calling. He is just out of sight over a small ridge. He is gobbling like crazy but not coming. I stop calling and start scratching in the leaves. He starts gobbling every time I scratch. Then there he is. forty yards. he sees the decoys and starts to shy away. Then He pick one of us out. He starts to turn and I let him have it.  He does a few flops and I am on him in no time.

The next day we head out first thing before a storm and hear nothing. Kyhl needs to get home to the kids and I head back home as well. At 10:40 the storm passes and I head to the farm just down the road. I drop most of my stuff and just take a decoy and one decoy. Not much time becuse quiting time is noon. I work my way out to the power line and nothing so I head for the ridge. I can hear one gobbling way off. I am texting with my Brother and let him know how the day is going. The bugs are bad and with only half an hour left in the hunt I decide I am not going to try and hike over one more ridge. It is hot and humid and I'm tired. So I let out a few loud yelps and he gobbles. I text Will and say I hear one but I'm to lazy to go after him. At 11:35 he gobbles again but he is much closer. I text will and say he is coming!! I grab my decoy and drop down two benches on the hill side. Not much time so I wanted to split the difference. I set up and call again he is just coming into view. about 120 yards. Full strut and taking his time. He works his way across the valley and starts coming right to me then turns to my left into some thick stuff.  I take the safety off and he stickes his head out at thirty yards and I squeeze the  trigger. He drops in his tracks and rolls back down the hill. I look at my phone and it is 11:45.  I put my tag on him and shoot Will a text. Got Him!!!




Bother birds were a little over 18lbs , 9" beards and  3/4in spurs.


Mike and Will came up for a long weekend. This was their first time hinting Vermont.  We were not able to get Will a bird but had a few going. Next year.

Mike was able to get a jake from the same spot and almost the same tree I shot my first bird.



 I called in a hen at this spot.
 Kyhl in his hiding spot.
 Will on one of our hunts. We walked a long way that day.
 I had the wish bone from my spring turkey last year. Kyhl and I made a wish on opening day.



No comments:

Post a Comment