Wednesday, April 30, 2014

The Old 410

I have wanted to kill a turkey with my mom's old H&R model 158 chambered in .410 for some time.  Last time I was in Pennsylvanian I picked it and brought it home with me. I had not shot the shotgun in over fifteen years. It was my go to gun for squires. It is very light and has a nice feel overall.

I picked up a box of Remington 3" Express Long Range 11/16oz of #6. Then went to the range to pattern it. Looking over the shot gun I was happy to see it was a full choke 24"barrel. My expectations were to limit my self to a twenty yard shot.

The target is a eight inch circle with a black one inch dot in the center.

I started out at 10 yards. Very happy
107 hits inside of 8" circle


Then moved out to 15 yards. Still happy.
72 hits in the circle.


Backed it up to 20 yards. I thought this would be my max.
But with only 29 hits inside the circle. I don't think I will take this shot.


I then tried one at 25 yards
20 hits inside of the circle.


Now that I have the info. I will not be taking any shots over fifteen yards.

No comments:

Post a Comment