Tuesday, January 21, 2014

2013 Fall Turkey

On Oct 19 I took my third turkey with a bow. The plan was to meet my friend Kyhl at turkey ridge for an afternoon hunt. I got there a bit early to check my trail cam in the field. I made it to the top of the crest in the field and spotted a flock of birds working their way up the edge of the field. I had dropped  my bag at a logging road that leads to my stand so I didn't  have my call with me. I decided to crawl back to the edge of the field and wait them out. The flock moved with in forty yards and one of them spotted my and sounded the alarm.

So I did something that was a little crazy but have been told it works. I jumped up on my feet and ran as fast as I could right at the flock. Waving my hands like a mad man and yelling. The birds went every direction. Now I have them busted up I should be able to call them back in. But I do not have my call. Should have thought this one out a little more. Now I need to run back to my bag and get my call. I ran as fast as I could to my bag and back. I pop my call in and start kee keeing and doing some yelps. I can hear them responding to me and gathering back up. I thought it was over. I could make out from their calls that most of them had gathered back into a flock.

I find a nice spot on top of a mound that is about fifteen feet tall at the edge of the field. It is covered in blackberry bushes.  The birds are down hill from me. Now I start calling loud and aggressive. Trying to call one or two of the stragglers up to me.  About five minutes have passed when I see turkeys making their way up the hill. They are being very careful.
Stopping and looking about every five feet.

I let out a few soft yelps when the first bird got to about thirty yards. Their are seven young turkeys in this flock. they all respond and keep coming. They make their way right to the bottom of the mound. I draw my bow and decide to try a head neck shot. I have a grim reaper wts with a two inch cut. I did not want a huge hole in a small bird. I hold my top pin right on its head and hit my release trigger. I pulled the shot to the left in my excitement. Just misses the turkey. Now they all get excited and start to move off. I grab another arrow and nock it.   One bird is still at ten yards and draw again. this time I hold right where the neck hits the body. I focus on the shot this time and watch the arrow hit right where I was holding my pin.

I tag my bird and head to meet Khyl. I know he has got to be there by now. As I hit the logging road here he comes walking down the road. Him and I stash the turkey and head back to get him one.
At this time the turkeys know something is up. I make a few calls but nothing. We sneak over the hill and see them working north along the bottom of the hill and try and get in front of them. It did not work.  So we decide to go to our tree stands and sit for the rest of then afternoon.

After all that, I never did check my trail cam that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment